It’s a friday and I’m sitting at Cafe Milo in Ames. I couldn’t be happier, I wouldn’t want to be in any other city right now! I knew I would miss Ames (the people, the places, the fact that there isn’t rush hour) but I never knew I would miss it this much. It’s definitely going to be hard to go back to Minneapolis come Sunday evening. It’s a beautiful day and I can’t help but spend the day thinking through lots of things. I do this fairly often – taking time to think about things and journal and read. I found that it is VERY important for me.
“There is no discovery without risk and what you risk reveals what you value.” -Jeanette Winterson
I’ve been wondering lately…what is my style? Is there a name for my style? And more than what my style is, what kind of person do I seem to be to people? It’s not something that occupies my mind often, but I do wonder about it sometimes. I feel that the things I like are a bit random – does it seem this way to other people or does it seem streamlined? I like white, wood, glass, pops of color (not too much). I like coffee, tea sometimes, tattoos, patterned scarves, illustration, watercolor, music, leather shoes, trees, fresh flowers, picnics. I like every season. Art museums, little shops, conversations with the people that own them. I like seeking adventure, but not alone. I like running, but not enough to run consistently – maybe sometime soon I’ll have more of a passion for it. I like baking and cooking, but I’m starting to be more picky than ever about what I eat. I value community A LOT. It’s there that memories are made and that’s why you value a certain town/time in life.
I’ve been journaling/writing like none other this summer. Already finished one journal and about 1/4 through another one already. For my next journal, I will probably pull out one of the handmade journals I made a semester ago, as well as make a pencil case and carry around colored pencils so that I can illustrate and sketch as well as write when I get inspired.
Sidenotes (minor life joys):
1) dyed my hair a tiny bit darker than my roots today – although I do like having lighter hair like I had when I was younger, I’m realizing that I like it darker more, because it looks more natural. Also, I think I have finally come up with a hair routine. (which, if I’ve talked to you about my hair…this is a big accomplishment) It’s still a bit frizzy but I think in time it’ll calm down.
2) still working on figuring out and incorporating a blogging schedule so things are more organized.
3) I’m thoroughly enjoying the warmth! I know that the weather has yet to release a full summer heat wave, but I’m really enjoying the heat so far – more than I have before! This is probably due to the fact that I was tired of shivering everywhere I went for the last few months.
4) Dresses are significantly more comfortable than pants + top. As I am slowly updating my wardrobe, I’m making sure that I have a good selection of dresses and less pants.
5) I am attending Gabe and Martha’s wedding this evening! I am SO extremely excited for them and their future together! It is truly a blessing from God and they are obviously very similar and work well together. I’m also really excited to see how their wedding is styled, because I appreciate both of their styles quite a bit!